Sine Theta Magazine is looking to expand its editorial team!
Please note that all of these roles are volunteer — at this time, none of the magazine’s staff are paid. These roles are not meant to substitute paid jobs. All levels of staff work unpaid on the magazine as a passion project alongside their other responsibilities. Nonetheless, applicants will ideally seek to prioritize Sine Theta as an important commitment.
We are looking for:
Web content intern (estimated 8 hours per week; workload remains consistent weekly)
- Provide content-writing and research support to the Web Editor and other members of Sine Theta staff as needed for our social media features of artists/writers.
- Actively manage the Sine Theta Server patron Discord community, including events and regular engagement.
- Help manage social media accounts
- Assist with writing promotional copy for events and issue releases as needed.
- Assist with proofreading, formatting, and preparing print magazine interviews for uploading online.
- This role is overseen by the Web Editor.
- Open and effective communication and strong writing skills.
- Prior experience with using Discord is desired. Learning Discord on the job is acceptable, but the applicant must understand that this role requires active maintenance of our Discord server.
- Skill with social media, including but not limited to Instagram, Twitter, and Medium.
- Timeliness and proactiveness. This work ordinarily involves checking in several days per week over small-scale, discrete tasks, and communicating with an internationally-based team.
- Willingness to both learn and offer original ideas.
- Fluency in English is mandatory.
- Knowledge of and translation skills of the Chinese language is a plus.
Print design intern (estimated 8 hours per week; workload fluctuates over a 3-month cycle depending on print editorial schedule)
- Provide graphic design support to the design team as needed for promotional material (e.g. posters, social media graphics, etc.).
- Use Adobe InDesign (and other supplemental Adobe Suite software as needed) to participate in the design process of each quarterly print issue, laying out pages in creative ways that reflect the spirit and ‘vibe’ of short stories, poetry, and nonfiction features included in the magazine.
- Help brainstorm and potentially help create merch items.
- This position falls under the supervision of the Managing Editor.
- Timeliness and proactiveness. Work is especially important around the release dates for our quarterly production cycle and can be more low-key during the weeks before we enter into production of the next issue of the magazine.
- Open and effective communication.
- Attention to detail.
- Cooperative mindset.
- Background in graphic design.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite with emphasis on InDesign.
Applications will be considered until September 24, 2023 on a rolling basis. Each position requires a commitment of a minimum 3 month period.
Each position has the potential to become permanent, i.e. upgraded from the “intern”-level to a full staff role if editors are satisfied with interns’ attitude and performance. There is also a possibility that the intern position may be renewed for further 3-month periods.
Applicants should send an email to email@example.com with a brief cover letter in the body of the email (we recommend 300-500 words as a non-binding guideline) indicating: 1) the position you are applying for, 2) any relevant past experience to the role you would like to include, and 3) your personal reasons and motivations for applying to the position.
- Web content interns: please provide us with two sample written posts about any Sino creative or piece of Sino-created art or writing of your choosing, in the style of our Instagram features (please familiarize yourself with them first: instagram.com/sinethetamag). Your posts should indicate an awareness and knowledge of effective communication and audience optimization on Instagram. Please attach this as a separate Word document to your email; include any associated images with the “Instagram post” in the Word doc alongside the caption text.
- Print design interns: please provide us with one or more samples of your previous graphic design work. You do not need a formal portfolio/portfolio site to apply; any several print design-related samples of your work are helpful. You also do not need any formal design education to apply; we are happy to review applications from self-taught designers. Once you have applied, we will also send you a design exercise as part of the application process.
All applications will receive acknowledgement of receipt. If your application has not been acknowledged by 3 days after applications close, it might have gone to spam: please send a separate email enquiry, and if that goes unacknowledged, please contact us on social media.
Applicants who pass the first round of applications will be invited to interview with one or more members of the editorial board who are familiar with the position’s responsibilities.
Sino creators worldwide with experience relevant to the open positions are encouraged to apply. We are especially excited to work with creatives who are based outside of the United States.
We look forward to receiving your applications and welcoming you into the Sine Theta family!